my random sparks of insantiy
The Everyday Joy of the Call Centre
[ 8:41 AM ]
The company that i'm temp-ing at has an in-house call centre. The call centre is right across my cubicle. Frm where I'm sitting at, I can easily listen to their everyday conversation btwn each other and btwn them and our customers.
The ppl in the call centre are Bundles of Energy in their own way. You can hear laughter, jokes and even singing coming frm their side of the office everyday.
There's something to laugh abt everyday. There's this lady in the call centre who's named Beverly. Everytime she spells out her name to customers she'd go "Bangkok-England-Victory-England-Romeo-London-Yankee"
Once this customer asked her what a Yankee was and asked her to spell it out for her. Beverly got so expasterated to the extent that she voices out her irritation right aft the call. The dept manager then told her that in Singapore (Beverly isn't a local) ppl use "Yugoslavia" for Y.
So the next day when spelling out her name to a customer and using Yugoslavia in place of the usual Yankee, the dumb customer asked her "Yugoslavia starts w a U right?"
At this point I think that Beverly was grinding her teeth, but being a professional and a very very patient lady it didnt show in her voice. Her irritation only showed when she called her nxt customer and used back Yankee and continued w explaining that she wanted to use Yugoslavia its just that the previous caller spelt Yugolavia w a U instead of Y.
I cldn't help but to hold back my laughter whenever similar incidents occur. Sometimes I'd just quietly smile at my cubicle whenever I hear such hillarious stories.